Swaybar brackets snapped

ofracer
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Interesting last laps at Thompson, the handling problem I was chasing made itself known. After seeing some of the corner workers hanging out and looking at my car as I went by (never something that inspires confidence), I was given a meatball flag and pulled in. It was confirmed at the black flag station at pit in I was dragging my front swaybar, the chassis brackets had both broken (now I know what was causing the understeer). Already have the old stuff ground off the chassis and planning on welding the new (thicker) brackets on soon.

Many thanks to the corner workers for saving my butt, it could have gotten ugly.

Mike H
63 Triumph Spitfire

Re: Swaybar brackets snapped

289 cobra
Some people just can't accept that they are slowing down and will search for any excuse to explain their lack of performance

Nice to see that it was caught in time Mike.  See you more than likely at the banquet next year and definitely on the track.

Jim

Re: Swaybar brackets snapped

ofracer
Administrator
I welded in new brackets today. 1/3 thicker and going the entire width of the frame. The old ones were only  1" vs (new) 3" of contact with the frame. Going to clean up the engine bay and give it a fresh coat of paint while I have the engine out.

Retirement has it's advantages, now there's time to do this stuff right and not rush it.

mike

Mike H
63 Triumph Spitfire